Blog

How to put out a chimney fire with salt

Fireplace fires can become a problem as well as those occurring in wood stoves. These fires often occur as a result of the creosote buildup of burnt wood. This tar-like substance is extremely flammable and only takes a light touch with a flame to ignite.

When a fire begins in the fireplace, it may be possible to treat the problem with salt, according to the National Fire Prevention Association. Although salt can extinguish small fires, it should not be considered as an infallible method to combat a fire from a fireplace.

Instructions:

  1. Call the fire department as soon as you notice the fireplace. Although salt can extinguish small chimney fires, firefighters may be needed to help with large fires.
  2. Gather all the salt you have in the house, whether standard table salt or rock salt. Pour the salt into a large bowl to make it easier to spread over the fire. If you use rock salt from a large bag, it may not be necessary to dump it in a bowl.
  3. Pour the salt into the fire chamber of the fireplace or stove. Continue pouring until the fire goes out or until you run out of salt.
  4. Evacuate the house immediately after pouring the salt. Stay outside until the fire department shows up and examine the fireplace.

Tips & Warnings:

  • Sodium bicarbonate can also be used to help fight a fire.
  • Do not attempt to put out a fire in the fireplace with water, as it may cause steam burns.